History of the School
The school has existed in various forms for over 400 years, its constitutions reflecting the changing outlook and needs for society. The present school incorporates part of the Charter School which was set up in 1752 under the Royal Charter. This school closed in 1843.
The Diocesan School In Elphin, which numbered Oliver Goldsmith among its pupils, was moved to Charter School buildings in Sligo in 1862. In 1907, the school buildings were conveyed to the Incorporated Society who closed their boarding school at Primrose Grange under Knocknarea and built spacious dormitories and classrooms (the present boy’s dormitories and "Prep Room") on the present site, of Sligo Grammar School.
In 1947 Sligo Grammar School was merged with Sligo High School which was founded by Dean Ardill in 1911. The premises of the High School were closed and the residence known as the "Hermitage", adjoining the Grammar School, was purchased from the Campbell family to house the girl boarders.
The New Teaching Block was added in 1972. In August 1976, the school was leased by the Incorporated Society to Sligo Grammar School Limited, which runs the school through a local Protestant board. "The Hermitage" was destroyed by fire in November 1976 and was replaced by a new residence in September 1978, which can be seen below. There are now approximately 449 pupils at the school, consisting of 103 boarders and about 346 day pupils
The Herm 2005